15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest cdrummond

Cheers - a nice guide for those less experienced.

I've just tried to verify the checksum by running the md5sum command but get an error about md5sum not being recognised?

Guest StevenHarperUK
Cheers - a nice guide for those less experienced.

I've just tried to verify the checksum by running the md5sum command but get an error about md5sum not being recognised?

I have added where to get md5sum tools for Windows, Linux and OSX to the main post

Thanks for the feedback

Guest David Horvath
I have added where to get md5sum tools for Windows, Linux and OSX to the main post

Thanks for the feedback

One thing. I did not reboot, just once. I dont think its necessary, or?

Guest StevenHarperUK
One thing. I did not reboot, just once. I dont think its necessary, or?

Honestly I don't know - If you have the superuser icon in your menu (and it works) then your probably ok.

I like to separate each step thou - you never know it may count when things update.

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
Cool how to. I am using windows vista. At the top of the guide it says this guide is for linux... will it be the same for me on windows?

At the top of the guide there is a section that shows the difference in the commands (on WIndows you don't need the sudo in-front) and you dont need the ./ in-front of the executables

Otherwise its all the same.

Guest dwattsy21
At the top of the guide there is a section that shows the difference in the commands (on WIndows you don't need the sudo in-front) and you dont need the ./ in-front of the executables

Otherwise its all the same.

Cool cheers mate. After everything being so easy with a simple recovery image for my hero, this is quite daunting for me! I have got so far as extracting the fastboot stuff to my desktop, but it said it couldnt encrypt a "macosx" folder, and I cant see any folder called fastboot that I should be putting the superboot file in. Very connfused, have I done something wrong?

Cheers,

Dave

Guest dwattsy21

I now have a file, with like an icon of a blue and white window on my desktop called fastboot-windows. Is thsi the "fastboot directory"? and how do i move the boote.blade.superboot.... file into it?

Guest StevenHarperUK
I now have a file, with like an icon of a blue and white window on my desktop called fastboot-windows. Is thsi the "fastboot directory"? and how do i move the boote.blade.superboot.... file into it?

On windows you need to get the fastboot.zip and right click on it and choose extract all

This will create a new folder with all the files in in. In there, there is a file called fastboot-windows

Put the Superboot file in the same directory so it sits alongside the fastboot-windows

Now open a command window and move to the new folder (assuming the folder is on your desktop and called fastboot

cd Desktop/fastboot
Now your ready to run the fastboot command
fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img
If your struggling it may be better to just move the extracted folder to the root of C drive and work there. so the full path is C:\fastboot\ CD command would be
cd /fastboot

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest dwattsy21

"On windows you need to get the fastboot.zip and right click on it and choose extract all

This will create a new folder with all the files in in. In there, there is a file called fastboot-windows

Put the Superboot file in the same directory so it sits alongside the fastboot-windows"

Does this mean simply copy the superboot file, and paste it into my new fastboot folder which i have put on my desktop?

Thank you for your help

Guest dwattsy21

Think I'm going ok now, but in the command window i have typed in

cd Desktop/fastboot, then enter which put me in the right file.. then

md5sum boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img

but this didnt work, givin em a message that "md5sum" is not recognised as an internal or external command, operrable program or batch file.

I have MD5 for windows open, so how do i make this work?

Guest dwattsy21

Really stuck on ths part now. Have installed md5sum and have opened it as an administrator and leave it running in the background. But when i type md5sum boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img, it doesnt do anything just returns a message saying "md5sum" is not recognised as an internal or exxternal command...

Has anybody else had this issue? How did you get around it?

Cheers

Dave

Guest StevenHarperUK
"Windows

You can get a free md5sum utility here

http://www.md5summer.org/download.html"

you do download the top one right??

The md5 utility is used to check that the file has not been damaged. Use the windows one and skip the command.

The windows one simply checks the boot file and should generate the same id. If it does this,then you know the file is ok.

Guest ken218

Am I missing something here?

I found that if I want to install the custom ROM out of box, I can skip step 1.

So I just need to install the recovery image, then the custom ROM.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Am I missing something here?

I found that if I want to install the custom ROM out of box, I can skip step 1.

So I just need to install the recovery image, then the custom ROM.

You need to root the phone as well (Step 1) : this allows you to run stuff as superuser

If you can do step 2, then Step 1 should be easy - its almost the same - just a different file.

Unless the 2nd Step also installs the superuser app. I don't know : I only have 1 device to test it on.

Guest BillBong

This is a great guide. I was a bit apprehensive about trying it but this breaks it down in a nice way.

A lot of people put in a lot of work on this site so a big thank you to Paul and the others who make it easier for the noobs.

Guest StevenHarperUK

If you use this guide and it works, please give me a post so I can see that it's doing it's job.

Also if you spot any typo's - or get stuck because something wasn't clear - please post also.

ta

Guest jdtanner
If you use this guide and it works, please give me a post so I can see that it's doing it's job.

Also if you spot any typo's - or get stuck because something wasn't clear - please post also.

ta

I thought it was excellent!

Guest ken218
You need to root the phone as well (Step 1) : this allows you to run stuff as superuser

If you can do step 2, then Step 1 should be easy - its almost the same - just a different file.

Unless the 2nd Step also installs the superuser app. I don't know : I only have 1 device to test it on.

If you do step 2, you will be able to boot the phone in recovery mode by the key combination (vol down + power).

From there, you can flash the custom firmware.

But if you want to use quick boot to boot into recovery, then you will have to do step 1 first.

Guest zippypants
I thought it was excellent!

Yes so did I ! I'm a complete Android noob worked a treat

Thanks

Running windows 7

Edited by zippypants

Guest Hostile17

I cannot seem to get past this bit.

fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img

Each time I try I come up against "Waiting for device" in the command prompt window.

I am using XP

cslogg